Monday 12 March 2012

100 Word Challenge for Grown Ups #34






This week we go back to a word prompt:-
…but I turned it off….
Many a slip...
The cremated remains of the ironing board cover lay in mute accusation.
She cried “... but I turned it off.”
The culprit lay on her back, licking her paws in a nonchalant way. Only she knew a careless paw had caught the antiquated socket switch. Those ‘oh so chic, brass sockets’ had proved why they were largely obsolete. The ball shaped ending to the switch caught neatly between sliding toe and pad.
The culprit had no idea of the carnage she had so nearly caused. 
It was fortunate that the achingly gorgeous chintz cover had disguised a boring metal board.






9 comments:

  1. Eeeek! I'm terrified this will happen to me one day and burn the whole frigging house down. I like how the board 'lay in mute accusation', lovely phrase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can anyone join in with this word challenge? What do I need to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharla, anyone can join, you will find all the info here http://jfb57.wordpress.com/

      Delete
    2. Thankyou, I've just done my first of many :)
      I always enjoy reading what other people write too. The imagination is a wonderful thing.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad that the damage was not worse. Terrifying. I love the description in this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! Bad cat! There are one or two household disasters caused by our two- fortunately none involving electrics.
    Love the chintz cover on the ironing board. Well written :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the remains have been suitably laid to rest. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for the very kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some memorable turns of phrase in this piece. I particularly liked the 'achingly gorgeous' ironing board cover. Nice piece.

    ReplyDelete