Monday 30 April 2012

100 Word Challenge for Grown Ups #40


This week's challenge here, celebrates our 40th week. 
Our challenge is to write to the prompt - Ruby.


Cute as a button!

"Rubeeee, Rubeeee, where are you?"  
A tiny giggle emanated from the living room.
"Ruby, Ruby, where are you?"
A rustle of cotton against carpet.
"I'm coming to get you..."
A gentle plop is heard close to the French doors.
“Where’s my girl then...”
A gentle sucking noise adds a clue.

I lean over the back of the sofa.
“Boo...”
“Ganny found me”
Said around a tiny thumb.
“Come on out my darling”
A gorgeous morsel crawls out from behind the sofa, stands,
holds my hand.
“Lolly, Ganny?”
“Yes, sweetheart, you may have a lolly.”
My Ruby, more precious than diamonds.


Neither of my granddaughters are called Ruby, but I love them just as much.

15 comments:

  1. I know the feeling. Grandchildren are so precious. I'd go to the ends of the earth for mine. So much love comes across in this writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so endearing and warm, I don't have grandchildren, but my Colin has, so I share them with him...but this warmth which eminates from within your writing I don't 'know' yet.. although making mince pies on Christmas Eve with one of the little girls was lovely, and my own daughter Rosie , joined in too..
    Thank you Ali for sharing this.
    Alison xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the love shines through this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't add anything that hasn't already been said. There is just so much love in this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous piece; the love between grandparents and grandchildren is a very special one indeed x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice. Conjures up the scene magnificently. Could have been there. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much joy and love in this piece. Really captures the grandparent/grandchild relationship which is very precious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for the really lovely comments xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely, what a precious relationship x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really sweet, especially the playful interaction between Ganny and little Ruby. The little details - like the sound of a sucking thumb - really make this little vignette come alive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This just gives me the warm fuzzies. The innocence of the child and the love of the Nana are captured so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautifully written, so much love there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh part of me was hoping that you had a grand daughter named Ruby. I do hope I'll be able to write something so lovely when my little button arrives in October!

    ReplyDelete