Tuesday 15 November 2011

100 Word Challenge for Grown-ups #19






Julia has set us a cracking new challenge The prompt is: …’Are you sure it should be that colour?’ …. using dialogue and we have 150 words.

Now or never ...

“Darling, are you nearly ready?” The call came from downstairs.
“I’ll be down in a minute”
She stood before the mirror.
“It’s now or never” she whispered with resolve.
“Sorry, darling, just finishing off” She carolled over the banister.
“OK, but we MUST leave in five minutes”
She busied herself, strong now she had made her decision. She fluffed and fussed, occasionally glancing sideways.
She gazed once more in her looking glass.
Satisfied, she strolled out of the room and sashayed down the stairs.
“Darling, are you nearly ready?” he pleaded.
“I’m here” she murmured, “I just need my coat and bag”
“I’ll get your bag” he said without turning.
He turned...
“Wow, I mean... that’s amazing...”
“Isn’t it” she said touching her new grown crop.
“Are you sure it should be that colour?”
“Ha, don’t you know that grey is the new blonde!”
She was glad she had left the wig upstairs.

15 comments:

  1. I love this! Well done. And grey is definitely the thing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The courage to go with her natural hair paid off - I'm so pleased. I like th eunexpected ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great piece. Wasn't expecting that ending. Very clever take.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm fully in favour of grey being the new blonde! Excellent piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favorite. I love that she has embraced the grey! Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, this post is clearly close to your heart. How lovely that the new hair represents so much positivity and growth for the future. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm all for the natural. Grey's got to be cool -- so many heads under it are! I like this a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Speaking as a naturally gray head man. I love this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't see that ending coming, but I'm so glad she felt confident enough to ditch the wig. She's a strong, brave lady.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for her! Loved the message in this

    ReplyDelete
  11. The bravery it took to be gray...loved it, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  12. GSussex A difficult/brave step to take, well done that lady!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for all the lovely comments. I never wore a wig when my hair fell out but it has grown back silver and curly and I'm keeping it like that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a super piece especially as it must be a subject close to your heart A! I'm glad that nature was allowed to take it's course. She knows best when it comes to looks me thinks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A very clever take on the prompt. I really enjoyed this x

    ReplyDelete