Saturday 7 January 2012

Had my first Ever massage today...

I was given a Massage voucher for my birthday. I've never really fancied being massaged. It has always seemed strange to me to let a total stranger get so close to me. My recent experiences receiving cancer treatment have also ALL been ouchy too. Anyway, I realised the kind friend would discover I had not used my gift as she goes to the same lady! So, with some apprehension I rang just before Christmas and made an appointment for today. Good I thought, puts it off for a bit longer.

This morning arrived. I checked myself over, I was fit and well. To the massage I must...

The massage was amazing! Diana Douglas  does NO HANDS®  massage. While she uses her hands to smooth on oil, the massage is done using the inner side of her forearms. The massage consists of rhythmic pressing and smoothing, with some stretching and extending. There was none of the kneading that I had feared from massage. The table had a heated pad on it and I was cocooned in towels, except for the area on which Diana was working. The massage lasted an hour and was conducted in a beautiful studio in the garden. I was given time to rest afterwards then went indoors to relax on a sofa and drink a cool glass of water.

This is a description of the ethos:


NO HANDS® Massage is deep, relaxing, rejuvenating and nourishing.   During a treatment, I use the soft surfaces of my forearms rather than my hands, which allows me to effectively transfer much more of my bodyweight into the client.  This enables both a deeper and more relaxing, releasing treatment than with conventional Massage.  


NO HANDS  Massage works – on every level:
  
          Physical          Energetic          Emotional          Mental          Spiritual


This is Massage for life, not just for the odd injury or occasional pampering, but Massage to help your journey through life.

Diana did not ask me to blog about this, and I am receiving no remuneration or reward for writing this. I am recommending this purely because after only one session I can feel the benefits. In addition to feeling relaxed, my body feels better able to function. I feel renewed. I shall definitely be returning regularly. Diana has assured me that my body will 'learn' to relax to make the massage more effective. I did struggle to stop my body tensing to 'help' lift or move limbs. I would recommend anyone who lives in or near East Northamptonshire to give this a go with Diana, who offers a first massage at a very substantial discount. Mr G has already booked up. For others, there are practitioners elsewhere in the country.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful. I do love massage and have one when I can afford it. Also, the lovely girl who puts my back right with chiropractic, starts by giving a very strong and relaxing which makes good sense when treating abnormalities in the spine. But this No Hands approach sounds good. It is a pity I am in S Northants! As far south as you can go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are other practitioners, so search No Hands massage. There may be one nearer. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is very encouraging and I will have to take up the courage to go and book my sessions, I have had vouchers for quite a while, and always managed to find other reasons not to do it... but, the sooner the better, i think from what you have shared, before my vouchers expire.
    Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE having massage and some years ago, used to go regularly. Diana is right, my body got so used to it, that I would climb on the table and fall asleep (not so good because I wanted to feel every movement). Also she would let me choose the music - I generally opted for Andrea Bocelli - now whenever I hear the opening bars of 'Time to Say Goodbye', I feel my body relax :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How different! I have had plenty of massages in Thailand which at first I was very worried about, but you do get used to it and the feeling you get afterwards is so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds fab, never heard of this type of massage. I have not had a massage for over a year since diagnosis. I think I may treat myself. Glad you enjoyed it xx

    ReplyDelete