Sunday 25 September 2011

Going back the way you came...

I went blackberrying recently, the day I made a big decision. I worked my way down the lane to the river, spotting and picking the berries as I went. Some were big and juicy and I tried to work out why others were so much smaller. I never did come to a sensible conclusion. I'd had it in my mind that there would be lots of berries across the river, past the old watermill and up the lane to the adjoining village. As I walked up the lane I was disappointed to see there were no brambles in the hedge at all. I retraced my tracks and to my surprise I spotted lots more blackberries, that I had missed first time round.



The fact that I saw more berries on the way back, set me off thinking about hindsight. It is always acknowledged that hindsight is always 20:20, absolutely perfect. We can always spot what was wrong, what went wrong, and why things went wrong. Conversely, hindsight can also reflect that we were entirely right to do what we did.  On my blackberrying day, I looked back in my life as well as retracing my physical steps. I realised that although I have not always picked the best, or always the right way to do things, I am very glad I did those things because I'm in a good place. This may amaze some, who look at the last few months of my life, saying that I have had a hard time. I have had a hard time, but I have come through it. That is a blessing. Mr G and I have weathered a long stormy spell, but now we are back in the sunshine again.

Yesterday, we spent the afternoon with my son, his wife and my little granddaughter. We had a glorious time. R, my granddaughter is just two, and sucking up learning every waking moment. We had an hilarious lunch time. She loves tomatoes, but prefers the juicy seedy bit to the flesh. I had one piece of still juicy tomato on my plate, whereas she had sucked the seeds out of most of her share. With a lightening move, she removed the juicy piece from my plate and replaced it with one of her sucked clean pieces. It was probably good that I spotted it, or I may have eaten her piece! We all laughed, she will eventually learn not to do that, but in her little mind, my tomato was so much better. This observancy continued all afternoon. She spotted a helicopter ('topter), a kite being flown nearby, the slides, the swings, the roundabout, her very pregnant mother's chocolate, Mummy's juice and Grandad's ability to play ball with her and to play exciting games at the tea table. She jumped, she ran, she slid, she climbed. As I watched her, drawing every bit of fun to be had into her life, I reaffirmed the vow Mr G and I have made. We are going to live our lives to the full. We aren't ever going to mark time and miss chances to do things. Like R, we are going to get ALL we can out of life.

          Dance as if nobody is watching,
          Sing as if nobody is listening,
        Live every day as if it were your last.

5 comments:

  1. That's a great philosophy on life. Such a shame that it often takes an earth-shattering event to open our eyes to it. So glad that you are now in the sunshine and that you can share your thoughts with us and make us reflect on what we are doing with our lives.
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ali, I have often a walk along bridleways with my two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels that takes me past so many wild autumn "fruits", and mad as it may appear to the passer by, I am obsessed with it at present, and my mobile phone camera is forever in operation, and there is a brilliant sense of joy and pleasure in just being able to be here.. in my new Scottish haven,... reading what you have just posted has reinforced my secret musings... its given me such pleasure to read such a positive comment on life, and you are so "Very Right!", and when little things get me down ( the post moving stress still operating on my anxiety...) I will try harder to also to keep it in perspective.
    Hind sight is as you remind us in "perfect 20:20 vision",thank you Ali, you are an inspiration, and both you and Mr G have weathered an almighty storm ...
    my own life has been somewhat "chequered" too, in various ways, and I don't know if I've ever managed to be as articulate and positive throughout those darker periods as have you.

    There is a book in your life Ali... please, get it into print ...

    As Mr G once said ... you have to keep a PMA... positive mental attitude...

    You and he are so right!

    Your post is so rich with touching scenes and uplifting, just the " message" for a Sunday... a wonderful thought for the day!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely!
    We all rush around doing things we think are "important" which really are so irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

    Always make time to stare at that rainbow or beautiful sunset, or huge harvest moon. Stop the car and get out and just spend a few minutes drinking it in.

    I have to remind myself to do it, but for the sake of a few seconds, it lifts your day and your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. brilliant blog Ali, am delighted you are in a much better place, as for hindsight i think if we learn from the things we have done in the past then it can only improve the way we live out furtures, I have no regrets just some moments i wish i had maybe taken a different road but had i done so i would not have been where i am now.....love to you both Ali xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nature does not rush, but you may feel it is rushing.
    Mind crests illusions as it exploits you to do things for it.

    Natural Ease

    ReplyDelete