Sunday 18 September 2011

Tiredness...

There appears to be a veritable epidemic of tiredness these days. In small children this leads, quite often, to appalling behaviour and an early night much to the relief of all parties. Then there is the tiredness of extreme ill health. A bone weary, utter exhaustion, to which there is no quick fix, but resting in bed brings some small relief.
 This:
Main Entry: tired
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: exhausted, weary
Synonyms: all in, annoyed, asleep, beat*, bored, broken-down, burned out, collapsing, consumed, dead on one's feet, distressed, dog-tired, done for, done in, drained, drooping, droopy, drowsy, empty, enervated, exasperated, fagged, faint, fatigued, fed up*, finished, flagging, haggard, irked, irritated, jaded, narcoleptic, overtaxed, overworked, petered out, played out, pooped, prostrated, run-down, sick of, sleepy, spent, stale, tuckered out, wasted, worn, worn out
shows us how many words we could use. However a number refer to the notion that we ourselves are not tired, but that we dislike or have ceased to favour the item or the person.

Over the past year, I have literally been sick and tired. Now I am recuperating I am occasionally drooping, fatigued and dog tired. This is entirely to be expected and is remedied, as in infancy with an early night, and normal service is resumed.
The 'tired' to which I refer I think stems from an overly stressed or demanding life or even lifestyle. I have been there myself, but my recent reflections have led me to believe that we often say we are tired when we are unwilling to elucidate on how we really feel. The unwillingness to further explain may stem from not wishing to offend or, indeed, from laziness at better expressing ourselves. We may say we are tired when we are actually prevaricating about that which MUST be done. We may say we are tired, when we have NOT done that which needed doing. We might say we are tired when we actually think we are being burdened with tasks that we genuinely feel are most unfair. I think sometimes we say we are tired when we are bored!

                        Sooooo tired...

After my big thinks, I made a deal with myself. I'm not going to say I'm tired unless I really am. I'm going to say I'm struggling if I have too much to do. I'm going to get on with the inescapable tasks BUT I'm going to make darn sure that I don't say I'm tired when I've lumbered myself with jobs within my control and of my own volition - like blogging or clearing up craft things or helping with the fish, I agreed we should have.
I'm not going to hide what I really feel by saying I'm tired.



1 comment:

  1. Great post, very true. "I'm tired" is overused along the same lines as "I'm starving" (which, for most, fortunately, is an experience they haven't had). All too often we over exaggerate.
    I'm all for saying what is actually meant.
    Now, to address that to do list before I run out of time this evening...

    ReplyDelete